The guidelines provided by the State of Oregon that will govern Phase II re-opening will not allow the festival to continue in the traditional format. Food booths lining the street cannot be managed, extensive family friendly free kindergarten would not be possible, gatherings in the venues would have to be greatly reduced. Given the restrictions, the attendance would be reduced by 90%. This is unacceptable to the Board of Directors who are considering the impact to both the festival quality with free-flowing visitors, and financial ability to create funding for non-profits or sustain Oktoberfest, Inc. Therefore, Oktoberfest is terribly saddened by the need to suspend the normal exuberant festival format and is searching for an alternative format, that can help generate income for non-profits while giving fans a chance to enjoy some of the things they love best about Mount Angel Oktoberfest; great food, great beer and great entertainment.
We are closely monitoring word from our civic leaders to see if any thing changes and we will be allowed to hold the festival. We are actively communicating with them. We will be looking to other groups during the summer to see how other events manage during COVID-19 as well.
Format changes are still being discussed by the board.